The Rotary Club of Schenectady is pleased to announce this year’s scholarship contest. The award is $1000 and a check for this amount will be mailed to the successful candidate in early May 2021. The winner is also expected to join a Thursday Rotary meeting via Zoom.
Scholarships are awarded based on the following criteria:
- Applicants must reside in or attend High School in the city of Schenectady.
- Applicants must be officially accepted into an accredited degree program at a community college or university that will result in an Associates, Bachelor’s degree or be officially accepted into an accredited certificate program at a school or training facility. (The scholarship cannot be used toward a master’s or doctoral-level degree, such as MS, MA, Ph.D, MD, DDS, DVM, JD, etc.);
- Applicants must demonstrate clear career plans and a scheduled time frame in which you expect to achieve your educational goals; and
- Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Note – The scholarships will be awarded on the basis of merit; however financial need will be taken into consideration when all other factors are equal among applicants.
The deadline to submit applications is April 30, 2022. Scholarship recipients for this year’s competition will be notified by the first week of May. Submit ONE original and an online copy of the original application.
Please visit www.schenenectadyrotary.org to download instructions and application form.
Mail completed application and send online original application by 4/30/2022 to:
Dr. Elena Alvarez, Chair
Rotary of Schenectady Scholarships
201 Union St., Schenectady, NY 12305
About the Rotary International Club
The Rotary Club is the world’s first service club founded in 1905 by businessman and attorney Paul Harris and three friends in Chicago. It was initially founded for fellowship and later evolved to serve their communities. They named their new club “Rotary” to describe the practice of meeting in rotation at the members’ various places of business. After 1911 the Rotary expanded to Canada and gradually to the rest of the world. In 1928 the Rotary Foundation was established and it is today a major philanthropic organization.
The Rotary mission is to provide service to others, promote integrity, and advance world understanding, goodwill, and peace through fellowship of business, professional, and community leaders.
The current 35,000+ clubs work together to:
- Promote peace
- Fight disease
- Provide clean water, sanitation, and hygiene
- Save mothers and children
- Support education
- Grow local economies
- Protect the environment